Home  >  FAQ’s >  What are the latest developments with the planning process?

What are the latest developments with the planning process?

This is a very hard question to answer, mainly because the planning process and all of its many components are being updated and changed on a regular basis. It is difficult to keep track of the latest developments. Nevertheless, 4D Planning Consultants are constantly following the latest developments and changes to the planning system, and are able to share this information with you. To discuss any queries you may have, or development ideas or proposals in the pipeline, please give us a ring, and we will be more than happy to discuss.

Every London Borough has recently (or should have recently) replaced their UDPs (Unitary Development Plan) with a new LDF (Local Development Framework). This contains a suite of folders and documents that form part of the Local Authorities Development Plan for the Borough for the next 10-15 years. Every Borough has its own rules, regulations and policies, and 4D Planning Consultants have studied, and continue to study these documents to ensure that we are able to offer the most up-to-date service for our clients.

On the 6th September, 2012 the government announced new plans to ease the Permitted Development rights for different developments. On 12th November, 2012 the new plans were put out to consultation and adopted on 31st May 2013. The adopted plans are as follows:

increasing the PD limits for the depth of single-storey domestic extensions from 4m to 8m (for detached houses) and from 3m to 6m (for all other houses), in non-conservation areas, for a period of three years. No changes are proposed for extensions of more than one storey increasing the PD size limits for extensions to shop and professional/financial services establishments to 100 sq m, and allowing the building of these extensions up to the boundary of the property (except where the boundary is with a residential property), in non-conservation areas, for a period of three years increasing the PD size limits for extensions to offices to 100 sq m, in non-conservation areas, for a period of three years increasing the size limits for new industrial buildings within the curtilage of existing industrial premises to 200 sq m, in non-conservation areas, for a period of three years

On 6th April 2014 the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2014 came into force extending the General Permitted Development Order (“GPDO”) to allow additional changes in use without the need for planning permission. These changes include the conversion of A2 and A1 shops to residential units without the need to apply for planning permission. The most recent amendment comprising The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) Order 2015 is that temporary change of use from offices to residential will eventually become permanent.  Temporary permitted development rights currently apply in respect of the change of use of premises from a B1(a) office use to C3 residential use. This is subject to Prior Approval being sought in respect of flooding, contamination, highways and transport issues and impacts of noise from commercial premises on the intended occupiers of the development. Development must be completed within three years starting with the prior approval date.

The Prior Approval scheme (neighbours consultation/ neighbours notification) for extended permitted development rights, had a deadline of the 30th May 2019 but this deadline has been removed by the Planning Secretary and is now permanent.

Buildings with A1, A2, A3, A5, B1, D1 and D2 uses are permitted to change use for a single period of up three years to A1, A2, A3, B1 and D1 (a,d,e,f or g) uses.

Agricultural buildings are permitted to change to C3 use (dwellinghouses) together with some building operations reasonably necessary to facilitate the conversion, subject to meeting certain criteria. For further information please contact 4D Planning to discuss the criteria and requirements. Buildings and land within B1, C1, C2, C2A and D2 uses are permitted to change to a state funded school or registered nursery. This is subject to meeting certain criteria, and Prior Approval being sought in respect of transport and highways impacts, noise impact, and contamination risks. Permitted Development Rights have been extended to allow a change of use from B1(c) (light industrial) to C3 (dwellinghouses) subject to limitations and conditions including the prior approval of the local planning authority in respect of certain matters. It is only applicable to applications received on or after 1 October 2017, for which prior approval is granted before 1 October 2020. Development must then be completed within 3 years of the prior approval date. Part 4 Class DA – Since March 2020 Permitted Development rights have been extended during the Coronavirus epedemic to allow for the temporary change of use of A1, A3 or A4 to use as a hot food take-away (Use Class A5). This does not apply to properties within an Article 3 and Article 4 designation. 

If you are not sure whether your proposals meet the requirements set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order, you should apply for a lawful development application. If you meet all the requirements, you will be granted a certificate of lawfulness or ‘Prior Approval’ from the council. 4D Planning Consultants can advise you whether your development falls under permitted development, and we can prepare this application on your behalf, and produce all the architectural drawings as required for this application. 

If you need any more information on the latest developments with the planning process, please do not hesitate to contact us.

  • Next Question:
  • Next Question:

Is a Café a shop or restaurant?

Get in Touch

Today [typed string0=”for a FREE no-obligation quote” string1=”to speak to a Chartered Planning Consultant” typeSpeed=”40″ startDelay=”0″ backSpeed=”40″ backDelay=”500″ loop=”1″]

Contact Us

Request a Callback

Free Consultation

Get in touch with us a for a FREE consultation or to obtain a FREE no obligation quote for our services